During pregnancy, it is very common for women to have swollen and heavy legs or swollen hands and arms. The most efficient way to avoid it, is to do regular lymphatic drainage with a specialist. Our physiotherapist have years of experience to treat this issue. Find below more information about oedema and lymphatic drainage.
Why should I do Lymphatic Drainage During my Pregnancy?
Lymphatic drainage in London: What causes oedema during pregnancy?
There are two main reasons that cause fluid retention and swelling during pregnancy:
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy affect the veins, which are not able to circulate blood as efficiently as usual, resulting in blood stagnating in the lower limbs
- The growing womb puts pressure on the blood vessels in the pelvic area, which slows blood circulation causing water retention in the lower limbs
It is very common to experience swelling during the pregnancy, more than half of pregnant women report they experience it to some degree. It usually gets worse as the day progresses, especially if you have been standing a lot, and in hot weather. Some women continue to experience it even after they give birth.
Lymphatic drainage in London: the most efficient way to reduce swelling legs during pregnancy?
Medication that reduces oedema isn’t indicated for pregnant women, so there are a few alternative methods that reduce swelling:
- Avoid standing for long periods of time
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that don’t put pressure on any part of the body
- Put your feet up as often as possible, with a couple of cushions under your legs to keep them higher than your heart level
- Reduce the amount of salt in your food and avoid fatty food
- Manual lymphatic drainage and circulatory massage
For more information about Lymphatic drainage in London or appointment with our specialized physiotherapist, call 02071250262
Visit our Page about Lymphatic drainage in London: Click here
Other Topics you might be interested in:
Palper Rouler, the most efficient treatment against cellulite